People listen in order to:
- Increase knowledge or to learn
- To gain understanding
- For general reasons
- To respond appropriately to what we hear
- To gain information about work or school
- Tt gives us details about what to do, how to do it, when and where to do it. Example: When is the first break? How do you know?
- To gather data to make decisions
- To be more effective in our interpersonal relationships: When children return home from school and it has been a “bad” day or when your spouse had a “hard day” at work.