Why is communication important?
As a salesperson, one of the most important skills to learn is the ability to communicate. Communication is the exchange of thoughts, messages, or information. The goal of communication is mutual understanding. To understand is to perceive and comprehend the nature and significance of something.
The ability to communicate effectively, build rapport, and relate well to other people is a fundamental skill in any work environment.
- Every aspect of your work has the common denominator of people.
- Everyone communicates, you cannot NOT do it.
- Communication is a key sales skill.
People who communicate well and have good interpersonal skills can effectively communicate, build rapport and relate well to all kinds of people. They exhibit the following traits:
- Strive for self-awareness.
- Demonstrate sincere interest in others.
- Treat all people with respect, courtesy and consideration.
- Respect differences in the attitudes and perspectives of others.
- Listen, observe and strive to gain understanding of others.
- Are sensitive to diversity issues.
- Develop and maintain relationships with many different kinds of people regardless of cultural differences.
- Understand that the primary responsibility for the success or failure of the communication lies with the sender.